1/2 cup diced mushrooms/ minced meat (optional)
1 cup rice
1 tb. sp. dried savory
1 tb. sp. basil
1 t. sp. ground red pepper
a couple whole allspice berries
1 bay leaf
ground black pepper
1. Fry the finely chopped onion and leek for about 10 minutes with the sunflower oil on medium high temperature.
2. Add the rice, the mushrooms/ minced meat and the spices (reserving the allspice berries and the bay leaf for later). Continue frying until the rice looks crystal.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups hot water and continue cooking until the water evaporates.
4. Let the rice rest for a couple of minutes.
5. Wrap the rice in the sauerkraut leaves, placing the wraps in a cooking pot, so there is no space between them.
6. Add the bay leaf and allspice berries between the wraps and add warm water a little bit below the wraps. (Note: Some people use the juice from the sauerkraut in addition to the water, but be aware of the wraps getting too salty.)
7. Put a ceramic plate (bottom up) on top of the wraps and put the pot on the stove. Cook for about 40 minutes after the water starts boiling on medium high temperature.
The rice wraps are perfect to serve both warm and cold. They could be garnished with yoghurt or anything else you see fit. Enjoy!